Exfoliating your skin is just as important during the summer months as it is in the winter.
When those hot days roll around and the temperatures soar, your skin gets hot and sweaty, and more prone to breakouts or clogged pores.
The best way to keep your skin fresh and radiant, especially if you are experiencing hormonal fluctuations, is to exfoliate regularly.
It’s true, exfoliating really is the path to bright and glowing skin. Using the right skincare ingredients for you and creating a routine that works for you is the key to looking after your skin and reaping the benefits of beautiful youthful looking skin.
What are the BENEFITS OF EXFOLIATING in the summer?
Exfoliating regularly at any time of year can help get rid of dead skin cells, sweat and dirt that could clog your pores, but it feels especially refreshing when temperature and humidity levels are high and your skin feels heavy and oily.
Why exfoliating benefits your skin in summer:
- Exfoliating gets rid of dirt, makeup, sun lotions, sweat and excess sebum that can result in clogged unsightly pores, especially when your body is experiencing hormonal fluctuations.
- Exfoliating removes the build-up of dead skin cells and promotes fresh skin cell production which substantially improves your overall skin texture and tone.
- Exfoliating regularly makes it easier for the vitamins in your plant-based skincare to be absorbed in your skin. A natural organic face cream is crucial to caring for your skin, but make sure it nourishes the healthy new skin cells, not the old ones. If the moisturiser can’t be absorbed then your skin could become dehydrated.
- Exfoliating reduces blemishes. When your pores are blocked thanks to hormonal changes in your skin and an imbalance of sebum production, you can experience blemishes and breakouts. Exfoliating can really help to minimise this problem.
- Exfoliating your skin gives you more opportunity to become familiar with all the normal ‘lumps and bumps’ in your body, and notice hormonal changes or abnormal growths, allowing you to stay healthy.
- Exfoliating keeps you looking younger. If like me you’ve discovered pigmentation spots and rough patches on your skin as you’ve gotten older then you’ll definitely want to exfoliate. Give these areas a little extra gentle attention when you exfoliate to break them up and retain softer more youthful looking skin. Remember not to get carried away though. If you exfoliate too often or too vigorously you can strip away the natural oils that your body needs.
HOW TO EXFOLIATE PROPERLY
1) Choose a good plant-based exfoliating product
When exfoliating your face I recommend a natural skincare product that is completely safe and made only from plant ingredients. A sure-fire way to give your face radiant skin is to use the non-drying Organic Cacao & Orange Sugar Scrub. It’s ideal for all skin types, even sensitive skin.
The organic scrub will gentle exfoliate your skin, lifting out dirt and unclogging your pores, relieving your skin of the daily stresses of environmental pollutants. This allows soft organic coconut oil to penetrate your skin and deeply moisturise, while organic ground cacao and orange essential oil stimulates blood flow for the growth of new cells and gives antioxidant benefits.
This reviving soap-free exfoliant is ideal for summer use and gives perfectly glowing, balanced and moisturised skin.
If you want a good body exfoliant then I recommend the Happy Hemp Exfoliator. These eco-friendly alternatives to plastic scrunch mitts are exclusively fairtrade and lovingly handmade from natural hemp and are excellent for removing dead skin cells, improving your circulation and encouraging flawless skin.
After just one use you will see the difference, your skin will glow with healthiness!
2) Exfoliate in the morning
Morning is a great time to exfoliate your skin. Not only will you remove dead skin cells, excess oils and impurities that have accumulated on your skin overnight, but you’ll feel fresh as a daisy and ready for the world.
3) Exfoliate regularly but don’t over do it
Make sure to not exfoliate too often, lovely as it may feel to do so, as over-exfoliating can throw your natural skin function out of sync and you can damage your skin barrier.
For most people, exfoliating once a week is plenty, and gives just the right boost to your complexion.
If you are perimenopausal or experiencing any kind of hormonal fluctuations and are prone to oily skin or acne, you may benefit from exfoliating twice a week to remove grime and excess sebum that could easily clog your pores.
4) Hydrate and moisturise afterwards
When you use the Organic Cacao & Orange Sugar Scrub, you may find there is no need to moisturise afterwards as the organic coconut butter will have penetrated your skin and gently softened and hydrated it.
However, if you find you need a little bit more moisture, choose a cream that is light and easily absorbed. For perimenopausal skin you can use the Organic Avocado Rose Face Cream or for older skin I recommend the Organic Frankincense Face Cream with additional antioxidant ingredients.
For your body choose a lovely rich balm that will lock in moisture and give your skin a natural radiant lift. I recommend the Organic Cocoa Butter & Orange Body Balm due to its superior nourishment.
5) Don’t forget to apply sunscreen
Once your skin has absorbed your moisturiser, I recommend applying sunscreen, especially if you are going outside during 11-4pm in the summer.
Exfoliating can make your skin more sensitive to the sun and therefore more vulnerable to sunburn. It’s so very important to protect your skin from UV rays. Not only do you want to avoid premature skin ageing, but also skin abnormalities and cancers, which sadly are becoming all too common.
Follow these simple steps and your skin will keep feeling great and look amazing!
Read more about skincare in the I Am Natural Vegan Beauty Journal.